Girls Mountain Bike Program Overview
The Girls Mountain Bike Program provides the opportunity to ride and race mountain bikes for girls who would not have the resources to participate in the sport otherwise or who would gain from the physical, mental and emotional benefits of mountain biking.
- We focus on mentorship, leadership, nutritional guidance, fitness, college readiness, and career exploration.
- We help participants serve their community and provide at least 20 hours of community service per girl.
- Our athletes learn to set measurable goals in training, racing, academics, life, future, and career.
- We assist our girls to explore careers, secure internships and obtain paid jobs while in high school.
- We help girls find resources to navigate the college admissions, scholarship and application process.
- One hundred percent of the girls that have graduated from our program have gone to college, 75% being the first generation in their family.
Girls Mountain Bike Program Details:
- 2019 Start Dates: Practices in Eagle County have already begun for 2019! Please note that some of our Eagle County Teams already have a waitlist so completing your application asap is essential! Monday, March 4th is the start date for all Summit County teams!
- Number of Girls Served: In 2019 we are anticipating working with over 175 young women in Eagle and Summit Counties Colorado in 5th through 12th grades.
- Practice Details: We offer 80+ days of programming year-round, and meet on Mondays and Wednesdays after school. Times vary based on location.
- Equipment: We provide bikes, helmets, shoes, uniform, glasses, gloves, and race entry fees.
- Program Fee: There is an annual fee of $140 for each girl. The fee covers uniforms, indoor training facilities and coaching, along with a $50 deposit that is returned when all equipment is returned at the end of the season. We have scholarships available for the program but you must complete the FULL Application first and indicate that you are requesting a scholarship for the year.
- Coaches: The Cycle Effect employs highly experienced coaches that have youth serving experience, are teachers, role models and athletes. Our coaches are background checked, CPR/First Aid Certified and complete mandatory training in mentorship, Safe Sports, leadership and mountain biking skills. We staff bilingual (English & Spanish) team members to translate, communicate and better serve our families.
Interested in Joining a Team?
- We welcome girls that are new to sports, mountain biking, or just want to learn more about The Cycle Effect.
- The Cycle Effect allocates and prioritizes our resources to participants who identify with one or more of the following risk factors:
- Low income
- Minority populations (English as a Second Language, etc)
- Challenges with school (behavior, academics, setting and achieving goals, lack of motivation)
- Social or Emotional challenges (Low self esteem, mental health issues, depression, anxiety, challenges with peer groups)
- Lack of opportunities and resources to participate in other physical or extracurricular activities
- We use the above criteria when reviewing applications to determine 1) what girls qualify to ride our bikes and use our gear, AND 2) if we will have room to serve girls that don’t need our bikes or gear but still want to ride with us and be part of a team.
- If you or a young woman you know is interested in our program, please complete the 2019 Application.
- Completing an application is the best way for our staff to assess what teams and programs are best suited for each young woman.
- The application is the same for all teams or locations.
- Once your application has been submitted you will hear from one of our Program Coordinators with more detailed information.
We protect our young women by keeping practice locations & times private. If you and your daughter are interested in dropping in or visiting a practice to learn more, please contact: